When I found out that you can use the greens of a carrot I had to try it! I have a simple roasted carrot recipe for you to follow below. I took the greens of the carrots and added them to a ground turkey and mushroom dish which I later placed on top of a toasted corn tortilla. Tahini has always been hard to find as it is almost always processed with nuts. So I decided to make my own using toasted sesame seeds (toasted sesame seeds have a nuttier taste). Drizzle the tahini over the whole dish. Yum yum!!
• 6 large carrots washed and dried (do not peel)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Salt and pepper to season
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. Trim the greens about 1 1/2 inches away from the carrot.
2. Lay carrots on a baking tray and using a basting brush sweep olive oil over both sides of each carrot.
3. Season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
4. Remove and Serve
• 1 cup of toasted (or white) sesame seeds
• 4-5 tbsp olive oil
• Pinch of salt
1. Pour the sesame seeds in a small food processor. Pulse until the seeds become a thick pastey consistency. Occasionally scrape the sides of the processor.
2. Add olive oil 1 tbsp at a time and pulse in between. Add salt. The mixture should start to liquify.
3. Remove from processor and serve.
• 1 lb ground turkey
• The greens of 3 carrots rinsed and chopped
• 8 oz mushrooms
• 1 shallot finely chopped
Staples: 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 3 sprigs of fresh oregano chopped or 1 tsp dried oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper.
1. In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium. Add shallots and sauté until opaque about 1 minute. Add Mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms turn dark in color, about 3 minutes. Add Carrot greens and continue cooking for another minute. Remove from skillet.
2. In the same skillet add ground turkey and cook until no longer pink inside. About 5 minutes. Add cumin, oregano, garlic and salt and pepper. Cook for another minute.
3. Remove from skillet.
4. On a salad or corn tortilla place the turkey mixture and then the mushroom mixture. Top with tahini (if desired).