We love grilled eggplant. It is a meaty vegetable and very filling. The skin of the eggplant contains a potent antioxidant and phytonutrient called nasunin. Nasunin has been shown to protect cell membranes from damage. Eggplants are also high in essential nutrients, fiber and low in calories making this vegetable extremely appealing. Not only is eggplant a “super vegetable” but it’s extremely delicious. Try this recipe tonight! It makes for a great appetizer. xo
• 1 large eggplant (sliced)
• 2 plum tomatos (diced)
• Juice of half a lemon
• 1/4 cup mint leaves finely chopped
Staples: Olive oil, salt, pepper
1. Place your eggplant slices on a plate and sprinkle with salt. Let eggplant sit for 1/2 hour – 1 hour. You will notice beads of water appearing on your eggplant slices. The moisture and bitter taste is being removed. This process improves the texture and flavor. It is a fun osmosis lesson for your kids! Rinse the salt off your slices and pat dry.
2. Heat a large grill pan. Brush eggplant slices with a little olive oil on each side and season with a little salt and pepper. Grill eggplant for 2-3 minutes on each side or until you see grill marks. Remove from pan.
3. Make your salsa by combining the diced tomatoes, lemon and mint leaves.
4. Evenly distribute the salsa onto each eggplant. Top with Balsamic glaze and feta cheese if desired.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo