Cooking red meat can be intimidating to those who eat chicken almost every meal…like us 🙂 But don’t be discouraged, beef brisket is a delicious cut of meat that should not be missed. It’s pretty easy to make and requires little effort but takes a bit of time to cook. Brisket needs to stay in the oven for 3-4 hours at a low temperature so if you’re choosing to make this recipe I hope you have things to do around the house! When cooking brisket remember the 4 most important things: flavor, moisture, basting, and time. As long as you flavor your meat with spices, baste and cook with enough liquid for a long period of time your brisket should be great! Follow my recipe below for an easy and delicious meal. Day old brisket is the BEST, so use your leftovers in a sandwich or on top of a salad.
• 4 lbs Beef Brisket (I like Kosher meat as it tends to be more tender, moist and flavorful)
• 1 large onion, 6 carrots, 1 lb baby white potatoes
• 3 cups beef broth
Staples – 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp mustard powder, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
1. Coat the bottom of a dutch oven with cooking spray. Cut the onion into 1/4″ slices and lay the pieces at the bottom of the pot.
2. Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl. Rub the top of your brisket (fatty side down) with the spice mixture. Lay the brisket bottom side up on top of the onions. Pour the beef stock over the meat. Cover the dutch oven and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours. Baste a couple of times throughout.
3. While the meat is in the oven slice the potatoes in half. Peel the carrots and cut them into thirds.
4. After 2 1/2 hours baste the brisket with the liquid and add the vegetables to the pot. Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes remove the lid and continue to cook for 30 more minutes. When done remove from the oven. Take the brisket out of the dutch oven and slice against the grain. Remove the vegetables and serve with the gravy. Enjoy!
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo