For those who celebrate, Happy Hannukah!! Tonight marks the first night of Hannukah and I’m all ready with a platter of EASY, delicious, gluten free latkes. Whether you celebrate the holiday or not you will love these crispy potato pancakes. They are almost like a hash brown and can be served at any meal throughout the day or enjoyed as a snack. The traditional way to eat fresh latkes is with sour cream and applesauce but feel free to experiment with different condiments and sides. Latkes taste amazing with something sweet such as cinnamon sugar, powdered sugar, jam or chocolate sauce or something savory like ketchup, bbq sauce, mustard, hot sauce, gravy…the possibilities are really endless. I hope you all have a very happy Hannukah and enjoy this easy, simple, classic latke recipe!
• 4 russet potatoes (peeled)
• 1 yellow onion (peeled)
• 1/4 cup gluten free flour
• 1 egg
Staples: 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
1. Grate the potatoes into a large bowl (I like to use the large grater slots as the latkes develop a crispy edge when fried). Squeeze out the excess water.
2. Grate onions and add them to the grated potatoes.
3. Sprinkle the gluten free flour into the bowl and add the egg. Season with salt and pepper and combine ingredients.
4. In a large skillet heat olive oil on high and then lower temperature to medium. Using a tablespoon scoop the mixture into the pan frying 4 at a time. Cook until the latke’s edges turn golden brown (about 1-2 minutes). Flip and fry the other side (about 1-2 minutes).
5. Remove the latkes and place them on a paper towel to remove the excess oil. Continue frying until all the batter is gone. This recipe makes 1 dozen latkes.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo