I was a little nervous to feed this to my family because they can always tell when I hide veggies in their food. I was pleasantly surprised that they had no idea it wasn’t just plain old Mac and Cheese! My son enjoyed his as a meal and I served the rest of ours with grilled salmon. My husband refuses to eat root vegetables and he had a whole bowl of this Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese. He loved it! I hope you do too.
• 4-5 cups cubed butternut squash
• 4 cups chicken broth
• 1 12 oz box of gluten free elbow noodles (cooked according to the directions on the box)
• 1 1/4 cups reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Staples: 1 tbsp butter, salt and pepper to taste, chopped green onion and tarragon to garnish (you will love the way the garnishes enhance the flavor of the mac and cheese!)
1. Place the squash and chicken broth into a large pot and boil for about 10 minutes. The butternut squash should be tender and easily pierce with a fork.
2. When done transfer the squash and broth into a food processor and purée until smooth.
3. Pour the purée into a large bowl and add butter. Stir to melt.
5. Add the cooked elbow noodles and mix well. Then add the cheese and stir until it has melted.
6. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with a sprinkle of green onions and tarragon.
*The sauce thickens pretty quickly. Especially if refrigerated.
Easy peasy. Enjoy! xoxo